Operating Systems : Expand size of VirtualBox disk
This page last changed on Aug 18, 2015 by admin.
Expand the disk size of a Windows (XP/7) VM running in VirtualBox 4.0 on Mac OS X.
Verify current settings
VBoxManage list hdds
This will display a list of existing VirtualBox harddisks with their UUIDs.
Resize the device
Open up a terminal and use the VBoxManager to resize the storage device.
VBoxManage modifyhd <uuid> --resize <new size in megabytes>
Resize the partition in Windows 7
Open up Disk Management and extend the volume to use the newly created space.
Resize the partition in XP
- Download a GParted LiveCD from here http://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/files/gparted-live-stable/
- Mount this ISO in the virtual machine
- Make sure the CD is the first item in the boot order
- Boot the virtual machine
- Resize the partition with GParted
- Shut down the VM
- Remove the ISO from the configuration
Windows XP will perform a CHKDSK operation on first boot after the resize and wants to restart once. But after that you are good to go. Enjoy the space!